A Rocha is a Christian nature conservation organization, our name coming from the Portuguese for ‘the Rock’, as the first initiative was a field study centre in Portugal. A Rocha projects are frequently cross-cultural in character, and share a community emphasis, with a focus on science and research, practical conservation and environmental education.
In all the countries where we work, A Rocha is identified by five core commitments and to a practical outworking of each:
- Christian – Underlying all we do is our biblical faith in the living God, who made the world, loves it and entrusts it to the care of human society.
- Conservation – We carry out research for the conservation and restoration of the natural world and run environmental education programmes for people of all ages.
- Community – Through our commitment to God, each other and the wider creation, we aim to develop good relationships both within the A Rocha family and in our local communities.
- Cross-cultural – We draw on the insights and skills of people from diverse cultures, both locally and around the world.
- Cooperation – We work in partnership with a wide variety of organizations and individuals who share our concerns for a sustainable world.