Kenya – Mwamba Conservation Centre Manager
A Rocha Kenya (ARK) is a Christian conservation organization that is part of a wider family of A Rocha projects around the world. Mwamba Conservation Centre serves as the hub for all our project work and houses our offices as well as volunteer/guest accommodation. We are looking for a volunteer(s) to manage Mwamba and support the wider work of ARK. The position is particularly suitable for a couple, but applications from singles are also welcome.
- Help set the strategic vision for Mwamba Conservation Centre
- Represent ARK to guests and visitors
- Assist the Head of Hospitality to ensure a positive guest experience – e.g. host three to four evening meals per week with guests and volunteers
- Promote ARK programmes and care of creation to guests and visitors
- Manage a team of Mwamba Centre staff (e.g. Head of Hospitality, kitchen staff, house-keeping staff, gardener, maintenance person, night watchman)
- Attend and contribute to monthly management team meetings
- Coordinate work schedules and off days for Mwamba staff
- Raise Mwamba-related issues and staff concerns to the management team
- Provide pastoral care to staff where needed/appropriate
- Act as volunteer coordinator
- Screen potential volunteers (local and international)
- Help volunteers settle into life at Mwamba and assign tasks as needed
- Provide pastoral care to volunteers where needed/appropriate
- Manage the stocks and inventory of foodstuffs, household supplies, maintenance supplies
- Conduct monthly shopping for foodstuffs and household supplies
- Manage and track housekeeping budget, under supervision of the book-keeper
- Keep the ARK vehicle fleet in good working order
- Maintenance as needed, or at least a basic awareness of how vehicles work
- Ensure that mileage is properly recorded and tracked
- Arrange for the sale and purchase of vehicles as needed
- Keep Mwamba Centre facilities well maintained and secure
- Perform small maintenance tasks and purchase materials needed
- Hire contractors as needed
- Work with the night watchman to ensure the safety and security of the site
This is an unpaid position, due to ARK’s limited funding. Ideally, Centre Managers would come self-funded to ARK, having raised their own support (sending church, friends and family support, etc.).
Approximate living expenses are:
- KES 24,000 / month (single person) or KES 48,000 (couple) for food and accommodation – a small two-bedroom house is available on site
- Furnishing budget to outfit the house (basic furniture is supplied)
- Discretionary spending
Please contact A Rocha Kenya for more information around visa requirements for this posting if applying as a non-Kenyan citizen.
ARK is a Christian organization. This post requires someone who is sympathetic to and shares A Rocha’s core values and commitments.
Serious applicants are also asked to fill out A Rocha International’s volunteer application form.